MY JOURNEY

MY JOURNEY
SOMETIMES YOU REALLY DO HAVE TO DO IT WRONG TO FINALLY GET IT RIGHT.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

First let me clarify, I'm an ole tomahawker from way back, even before the Braves adopted the chant. I remember those days with Chief Knock-a-homer when I was one of less than 5000 loyal fans at the stadium cheering the Braves to another 100 game-plus losing season. You could sit where you wanted basically. But I remained a fan, better or worse. When they had that run if winning pennant after pennant, I held onto my dreams of seeing them win it all. They did only once. Most times they fizzled to a halt. Still, I hung in there until the next season, and the next. I still have quite the collection of Brave's tee-shirts; just can't seem to let them go.
I even have an actual Dale Murphy autographed ball. It was Dale Murphy day at the stadium and everyone got a pre-autographed ball. What makes my special is that after the game as we were climbing the stairs to our room at what then was the Stadium Hotel next door to the stadium, I tall gent sprinted by us on the stairs. At a glance, he looked like Dale so I sprinted up the stairs behind him. He vanished through a door on one of the floors and dashed inside behind him. I found my self slap dab in the middle of some sort of gala. They were about to run me off when I caught Dale's attention and asked for his autograph. He smiled, and said sure. Boy I was living large.
I've been at the stadium for those wild Dodger-Brave rivalry games when they were in the same division. I was there when he Padres had a series of knock down-drag out fights all during the game. I even saw Hank Aaron hit a home run to dead away center in the Houston Astrodome.
It hurt to watch the Braves implode playing the Dodgers over the last few days. That's what the Braves do, take you to edge and then push you off the cliff. Been there, done it too many times but I still hang in there hoping for the next World Series. I reckon I'll wait one more year. It seems I'm always saying that. Hold year heads up boys. You did the best you could but I must confess after watching this opportunity slip through your fingers. In the ply-offs you just didn't look like a contender. I never saw the burn, the passion to win. I saw that look on the Dodgers' faces. That's why you got your butts kicked. Once you learn how to win down the September home stretch, then you'll kick ass in the playoffs and just maybe a series ring. I'm still with you but you don't make it easy on an old man. See you come spring and we'll do this again.

No comments: