MY JOURNEY

MY JOURNEY
SOMETIMES YOU REALLY DO HAVE TO DO IT WRONG TO FINALLY GET IT RIGHT.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015


To the Book Mobile

Peddling as Fast as I can

Who said selling books would be a piece of cake? Even writing one is no sweet tater pie. Funny though, at least from my perspective, writing is really the easiest slice of the pastry making to me. I can whip together a fictional recipe in a blink, the tale flowing faster than my fingers can keep up with it. More times than not I’m working three to six novels simultaneously while some say they’ve worked years to finally finish their first on the next wishful best seller list. Am I forfeiting quality for quantity? My loyal few followers don’t seem to think I should give up on the expensive hobby, mine not theirs. Fact is its downright fun, the writing part that is; proofing and editing, no so much, unless you’ve landed on a best seller list. Necessary evils are...well…necessarily evil. Traditional publishing…prompt the puke heaves now…make me sick to the lower extremities. Just the mere thought of seeking an agent or submitting query letters to pad my rejection resume force me into a life only a reclusive ole hermit would understand and appreciate.

Yep, I do love to write but transforming my masterful scribbling into something resembling a book is no easy row to hoe. Having someone like good ole Bob to publish them makes that part much easier but, still, the one backing these investments stares me down in the mirror, some alter ego he makes. I struggle with the self promoting and selling part though. I compare it to making cold calls, or being the girlie show barker or even a glorified snake oil peddler. Readers give you that look, their eyes saying it all, is this really worth the price of admission? Quickly you find out just how many times you can return to the well, especially when it comes to family and friends. Rule of thumb; never benchmark you sales on your very first release...unless it was a best seller. Everyone can be taken in by that blessed event, not expecting that you intend on birthing another. Your first child might be a cutie pie but birthing them left and right sort loses its luster, unless you’ve banked a best seller.

Reality can truly provide harsh lessons if you’re not on some zillion best seller list. Flaunting shamelessly isn’t as easy as it sounds for those lacking Koontz, King or Roberts last names. No one pays me to write or lines up around the corner for their signed copy. Hooks, gimmicks, off the wall contests and/or giveaways may offer some hope. Finding an affective hook, gimmick, contest or giveaway poses the ultimate challenge. Merely standing behind a table, smiling and nodding at foot traffic is comparable to trolling the streams with a bare hook. What do you really expect to catch if you don’t toss out the right bait? I’m not convinced having a room full of hungry authors really snags that many buyers. It could do just the opposite. Possibly the shopper is overwhelmed by the selection or guilt ridden, they’re plagued with buying a book from one particular author and slighting the others. Maybe the price is too costly; given the fact they can shop at the library for free or download a copy to their Kindle much less than that old clunky hardback. 

Then there are those dreaded yard sales and flea markets. Is someone really going to pay $15.95 for my book when they can buy books three for five dollars or a quarter a piece? Heck they can visit the library and take home a bag full free. Better still, they can shop the book event and then go to the library and have them order the one that interest them. Still, mine are homegrown, nurtured tenderly and can be signed, creating a keepsake. Can you say souvenir or collectable? Think about it. Suppose I do land on a best seller list or hit the big time. You will have one of those early releases, a rare gem, an actual signed and dated copy, marking it as a viable candidate for EBay or Craig’s List. You can even boast you knew me when. Peddling your goods, keeping your name out there and creating a must have book phenomena is no easy task. Five times I have proven this theory. I have twenty others lined up waiting their chance to take the reading world by storm.

I confess. I’m a genre hopper. My writing is all over the place. I’ve published two detective books, one on bullying, a memoir and a paranormal thriller. I’ve heard you should find your wheelhouse and stick with it and develop a following, target a market. I’m unfortunately cursed. I have no targeted market. I write about what I like to write about which includes a variety of flavors, from my Bigfoot trilogy to missing cat mysteries, from end of the world sagas to high school reunion thrillers, golf stories to witches or sea monsters, people vanishing at mountain resorts to more southern nostalgic memoirs, zombie westerns to sea turtle encounters, I’m all over the place. How to you wrap a marketing and promoting plan around this mess? There’s but one thing for me to do. I just keeping peddling books as fast and furiously as I can, hopeful that one day my imaginary book mobile will crash through the zillion best seller barrier.

Life was much easier when the only reader of my work was me. But then again, what I have experienced has been priceless thus far; the friends I have made, fellowship experienced among authors, sharing our stories like worn and weathered road warriors. Where else would I have had the opportunity to appear on radio and television shows, not once, but numerous times so far? I’ve spoken at Lion’s Club meetings, local colleges and schools; not bad from one who used to be introverted. I’ve participated in more festivals and events than I ever visited just for fun. Some have been successful, others have been quite agonizing, but all have been bonding and life changing experiences, good, bad and ugly alike. Such is the life of the not so famous book peddler, hungering to land on a best list somewhere.

Shameless plug: Go to Amazon or any site where books are sold on line and type in T. Allen Winn to make your selection and purchase. But wait…visit Clock Tower Books in Georgetown, S.C. if you’re shy about internet perusing and buying. There’s more. Simply contact me via Facebook or Email and I’m sure ole T. Allen can work out a deal and ship you a sighed copy.

No comments: