MY JOURNEY

MY JOURNEY
SOMETIMES YOU REALLY DO HAVE TO DO IT WRONG TO FINALLY GET IT RIGHT.

Monday, September 8, 2014


 ‘The Griswolds Have Nothing on Us’

The Power of Three 

Bored and having not taken much of a vacation in the past two years other than staying at the beach condo, we decided it was time to do a road trip. Sure, the condo comes with an ocean and a beach but we can go there anytime and have. I know it’s hard to believe but living less than ten minutes from the beach makes going there less special. We decided it was time to do another cruise. We hadn’t been on one in a few years, having burned out of doing them, dozens of them. What the heck, at least we could hop on board, have our hotel, our meals and entertainment all inclusive, destination not really that important. We decided on a five day, leaving from Jacksonville, much cheaper than going out of Charleston. It really makes no sense…same cruise line, same dates, same destinations, just a different ship but worth the extra three hour drive further to Jacksonville than just and hop and a skip to Charleston. We tacked on two nights afterwards in Beaufort. 

We invited kinfolk. They accepted. We booked the cruise two months in advance. August 30th arrived on schedule. The kinfolk were coming down on the 29th but in their typical fashion, and really no surprise, they came to the beach two days earlier than originally planned. We’re used to this. On the 29th, a breakfast supper was served. After most of the food had been consumed, only three biscuits and two sausage patties survived the night time morning feast. The female kinfolk, while still seated at the kitchen table, smiles as she eyes the three biscuits and says, we have three left and there’s three of us. Excuse me…I’m still here, and just because I work half day tomorrow doesn’t mean I don’t eat breakfast too. I immediately smell conspiracy, the clique being formed and me on the outside looking in. Ironically I have a completed novel titled ‘Outside the Clique’ so I get it.  

Fast forwarding to cruise check in time, The Three all receive gold on board passes. I receive a blue pass card and I’m the one who made all the reservations. Gold signifies VIP. Of which I’m not. The power of the three rears its ugly obvious head once again and I’m just a P, VI to my name apparently. Later each of them will receive a special invitation to attend a welcome aboard dinner. I’m VIP-less…go figure…I can’t. The male kinfolk, not one to drink, dance and socialize, offers me his VIP invite. A chameleon, I become him for 45 minutes.  

Hold onto your britches The Griswolds Cruise Vacation lurks in the next entries, five days…really? It seemed much longer. Clark, eat your heart out…

 

No comments: