MY JOURNEY

MY JOURNEY
SOMETIMES YOU REALLY DO HAVE TO DO IT WRONG TO FINALLY GET IT RIGHT.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014


‘The Griswolds Have Nothing on Us’
Day 1: Saturdays are for Cruisers and Bruisers
 
Surprises at the terminal, first time out of Jacksonville and what happens; we’re spotted by another couple from the hometown, Abbeville, also sailing from this port for the very first time. Go figure. We reminisce, we board, and we are ready for the next five days of leaving the rest of the world behind. As mentioned, the other three, the clique were issued gold VIP on board cards and I receive a blue first time cruiser card, 18 cruise, sorry, I’m not a virgin. We bring on board the permitted amount on none alcohol beverages, not to exceed more than twelve cans or bottles of 20 ounces each. Mingled among the water could be contraband, just saying. We also brought a couple of sippy cups.  Not to be outdone, the in-laws purchased water bottles and sippy cups too. Theirs is still in the car, go figure.  

Waiting to sail in three or four hours, we else is there to do but hit the Lido Deck, let the grazing begin. Green tea is supposed to be healthy, I get that. Dipping green tea, tea bags in a cup of coffee just so ain’t right. Sister-in-laws often defy logic. Mixed drink I suppose. We eventually make our way to our cabin, hoping we will have one bed, not twins or bunk beds. One bed it is. The other two of our party have the same outcome at their cabin. They have the cabin folks redo it and make twin beds. Logic defied once again but not my cabin, do your thing.  

Sister-in-law is put off by a motorized wild woman driving about and running her nearly over. To be continued…it ain’t over by a long shot.  

Silent moment…mama sure did love cruising. She would have been right her with us, no doubt, miss you mama.  

Fairy tales do come true and why I love to cruise is confirmed the very first night. We check out the dinner menu. It’s escargot night. I order two appetizers, twelve snails please. I’m in heaven. My goal each night, eat and try new and different stuff. I dubbed as the one who eats weird stuff. Weird can be good. Don’t knock it unless you try it. Man’s mantra: ‘I’ll eat anything that doesn’t eat me first.’ I live by that creed too and will try anything once and have.  

We attend the show, and as we enter the theater, they are giving out tickets. My beloved tears off one section and drop the other copy off for the drawing. In-laws are excited they have tickets too. One problem, they still have both sections, doubling their chances I suppose. You can’t win if you have both sections, sorry. We make it to 11:30 our first night. Older and wiser we don’t try to hang out to the wee hours with the youngsters. We’re cruising ya’ll. I wonder if the crew is sleeping on he ship too.

No comments: